Stress is a normal reaction to the demands of our everyday lives. Everyone experiences stress at times and it's important to have the coping skills to manage stress. Poorly managed stress can lead to depression, anxiety, and impact on your physical health. Below are 5 tips to alleviate stress:
1) Get Active! Exercise can help take your mind off the things stressing you out and be an outlet for the extra energy created by stress. It also releases endorphins and is a natural way of balancing out brain chemistry.
2) Healthy Diet. When people are stressed diet tends to go out the window, either a loss of appetite, emotional eating or turning to junk foods for comfort. If you eat like crap you will feel like crap! Focus on maintaining a healthy diet even during times of stress.
3) Sleep Well. When your mind is all over the place with stress this can impact your sleep patterns and in turn impact your moods and ability to deal with stressors. Ensure your getting enough sleep and creating bedtime rituals that will signal to your body its time to rest allowing your mind to shut down.
4) Make Time for Relaxation! Self-care tends to be the last thing on our minds when we are stressed, but if you can prioritize time for relaxation this will help you feel more in control of dealing with the stress. Try things like deep breathing, guided imagery, mindfulness, massage, acupuncture, yoga or even a bubble bath.
5) Talk to Someone. Don't feel alone in dealing with stress, talk to your friends or family members to get support. If you feel you could benefit from professional guidance or your problem isn't something you can deal with on your own consider talking to a therapist or counselor.